NATURAL & MAN MADE STONE
We understand it can be a little confusing when deciding on which stone to choose. So we've put together some information about the different types of stone that we work with. Read below and see which stone is best suited to your needs.
PROCESS FOR ORDERING
When it comes to Natural Stone, things are done a little bit differently.
Because all natural stones are unique and no two slabs are really the same, we recommend heading to the websites of one of our trusted natural stone suppliers to have a look a the different colours/patterns available.
Once you have told us a few that you like, we will then find out whats available and send you a quote.
When you are happy with your quote, we then recommend you head up to Melbourne to the Suppliers and view and choose the slabs you would like (this way there is no disappointment) and then we organise the rest!
With natural stone unfortunately there are no warranties.
Natural stone needs to be sealed every 12-18 months so that it doesn't become porous or attract any nasty germs to live in there. This is a service that we can offer for a fee, or you may want to try and find a natural stone sealing product and do it yourself.
Marble is formed from limestone by heat and pressure in the earth's crust. These forces cause the limestone to change in texture and makeup. This process is called recrystallization. Fossilized materials in the limestone, along with its original carbonate minerals, recrystallise and form large, coarse grains of calcite.
The main consistency is calcium and dolomite. Ranges in many colours and is usually heavily veined and shows lots of grains. Hardness rates from 2.5 to 5 on the MOH Scale.
Marble is a rock widely used in buildings, monuments, and sculptures. Has long been highly valued for its beauty, strength, and resistance to fire and erosion.
Marble has similar characteristics to limestone and are typically used on the same applications, though, marbles are almost always more aesthetically valuable and available in much wider range of colours.
There are several types of marbles, including calcites (from calciferous limestones), dolomites (from dolomitic limestone), serpentines (typically green marbles) and travertines (sedimentary limestone). Each of these is similar in their composition, that being predominantly calcium carbonate, and their capability to take a polish.
Marble is a natural product, so no matter what the application, it will change, age and wear over time. Marble has been used for centuries in homes and public venues throughout Italy, all Europe, USA, and other places for centuries. Many of these installations have a beautiful patina look where the veining has changed throughout the years.
If you are the type of homeowner who wants the marble to look as it did the day you bought it, a natural marble product may simply not be for you. But, if you love the character and beauty that a product develops with use, marble may be a perfect choice for your home.
• Looks great and it's a timeless look that never tires.
• The patina of age and use only adds to its character.
• The look stands out and can be viewed as classic or contemporary.
• Etching would be a major concern with a polished finish, but it's barely noticeable with the honed finish. Because of this, we recommend: honed, leather or brushed finish for kitchens bench tops.
• There is anything that looks and feels more glamorous than a marble bench top. Nothing beats marble for sheer elegance.
• It stands up to heat well, and because it remains perennially cool, it's a traditional choice for pastry and baking stations.
Just don't let marketing hype or internet myths and mis-information fool you
When considering the overall performance characteristics, versatility, extensive style and colour choices, ease of cleaning, maintenance and repair... no other surface can truly match a granite counter top.Granite is one of the hardest and strongest materials in nature, granite originated from the earth's core as liquid magma. Extreme heat and pressure forged the quartz, mica, feldspar and other minerals into a very dense structure millions of years ago. Over time, additional heat and pressure resulted in the myriad, fascinating combinations of colour and pattern as well as the many outstanding qualities we know and love about granite. Every granite counter top slab is naturally unique.
With proven value & durability over centuries granite has excelled for use as indoor and outdoor kitchen counter tops, bathroom countertops, floors, patios, fireplaces, tub decks, shower surrounds and walls.
• Granite is rated the top performing kitchen countertop material.• It is more hygienic surface.• It is easy to clean and maintain.• Looks always beautiful over the years.• Extensive design possibilities and superior performance.• Granite comes in a huge variety of colours and patterns.• Granite is the number one material to present most of different finishing: polished, honed, leather, brushed, flamed, exfoliated, and more.• Found in nature make each piece one of a kind.• Some Granite colours are so dense that don’t need to be sealed.Just don't let marketing hype or internet myths and mis-information fool you.
QUARTZ, RECONSTITUTED & ENGINEERED
Man Made Stones are derived of unnatural mixtures such resin or cement with the additive of stone chips, granulate and power. This mixture composition can varies depending on type of man-made stone and manufactures (terrazzo, reconstituted stone, etc.).
The resulting product has physical properties similar to those of marble/granite, but can have a patently artificial look and feel, yet can approach the price of natural stone.
• Easy to clean and to match joins results of uniform pattern.
• Reconstituted Stone has the same properties for resistance to heat, scratches and stain as granite (if granite base) or marble (if marble base).
• The finish is limited to polished or honed finish.
• Limited colours.
• Reconstituted Stone has 10 year warranty; however, this warranty will not cover material: installed not under cover (outside), that had the surface or part of the surface back polished (visible areas as gables and overhangs), dishing, grooving or changed for different reasons. The warranty may vary from different manufactures.
Before make a decision, please visit the web site of each manufacturer to be informed about Limited 10 years Warranty Terms & Conditions.
Just don't let marketing hype or internet myths and mis-information fool you.